Can We Lesser Mortals wear denim with out looking like a yummy mummy?
Denim is all over the shops at the moment, and we must all have had those moments in our youth when we wore denim all the time. Can you even remember running around after your kids all day, thinking you’ll never stop wearing jeans and finally consigning them to weekends only? Are you worried that denim will make you regress back to thinking only about cleaning and the shopping list? Well, the modern twist on denim has a really smart and urban feel, so we should definitely buy a piece this summer, but unless you want to look like a yummy mummy, avoid a denim jacket and a faded denim skirt cut just above your knee (what do you mean, you still have one from 10 years ago??)
- Midwash denim biker jacket. Next. £45. Size 6 – 22. 100% cotton. One reviewer says the sleeves are long and if you are well endowed, it is tight when done up. However, this is a really modern twist on a denim jacket, and copies the winter trend for leather biker jackets. It will look fab with floral or pastel coloured jeans this summer.
- Dark denim pencil skirt. Karen Millen. £99. Cotton elastane mix. Sizes 6-16. What I love about this skirt, is, it is an on trend pencil shape, cut longer in the length, and when styled like this -with ankle boots – is as far away from yummy mummy as possible. Definitely style with heels – sandals or boots – to give it a modern feel. If it’s too pricey – Next do one too, but it is paler in wash.
- Denim shirt dress. Next. £30. 100% cotton. Comes in regular, tall and petite, as well as sizes 6-22. It has loads of 5 star reviews, but won’t be easily recognisable as Next, when you wear it. It’s very forgiving in style if you have any lumps and bumps to hide. The tie belt, will adapt to high or low waists, and the button up style flatters large chests.
- Denim Liz pleated shirt. G Star Raw. £130. sizes XS- XL. Polyester cotton, chambray fabric. Even with these pleats, this is washable! I think this is a really unusual shirt, and will work really well with the summer pencil style skirts and skinny jeans, and even white tuxedo style trousers.
- Tie front shirt. Levis. £65. 100 % cotton. Only size XS- L. Machine washable. This shirt is longer length for those self conscious about their bellies, and the pussy bow gives it a really smart grown-up look. It’ll look great with jeans, skirts and leather pencil skirts. It may even be smart enough for office wear.
- Tencel tapered trousers. Next. £32. Sizes 6-22 and length Reg to Long and X-long. 100% man made Tencel. At last, some soft loose fitting trousers for summer. Wear with a shell or vest top and definitely heels, or they’ll look like jog pants. Layer with a bomber jacket or blazer to keep the look smart.
- Denim ballerina flats. Zara. £29.99. Sizes 3-8. Upper is 100% cotton. With a see-through perspex heel, how wearable are these little flats? Fabulous to wear with everything, and perfect for holidays when your feet swell with the heat!!
I think you’ll agree there are many new fresh ideas for denim this summer, without being too casual. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to ask.
If you like what you have seen, please take a look at my website or give me a call or text on 07976 635518
munsnet……..interesting debate: can women over 40 wear denim?
The chic fashionista: Katie Holmes wears a denim skirt