Can We Lesser Mortals really wear white and not look…….inappropriate?
White is always in…. out……shake it all about, but Lesser Mortals have lots of dilemmas – Will my pants show through?(you’d be surprised…) Will I get ketchup on the them? Am I too pale to wear white? Who am I kidding that I am pure and innocent….? This year, it is fashionable to wear white and white and white-altogether.
As I always say, the fashionistas in London can get away with a lot, but you try trotting round Asda with white stilettos, white handbag and a white dress, and we all know who will have the last laugh. My advice would be to take hints of the trend – maybe add the white shoes/sandals at night time to get the whole look. (And yes, I know white shoes used to be tarty, but they are very on trend this year. They are very retro -think 60′s. Maybe a kitten heel rather than stiletto? And white sandals do go with everything). White jeans are easy to get hold of, so I haven’t looked at those. And be careful with white linen trousers – they can look like a dogs dinner. (and you do tend to see a lot of older ladies in them…….) Add a bright or dark cardi which you can stick on and button up when you are eating – it will save a lot of soaking when you get home……
Did I mention my other pet hate is cheap white polyester nylon. Just don’t do it. It needs to look luxurious and silk like.
- Amarro top – All Saints. £98. Sizes 4-14. 100% polyester. Dry clean only. A bit pricey, but may be on sale soon. The back is lower than the front. Suits apple shapes and anyone who wants to hide anything. The model is 5’11 so it will be VERY long on smaller ladies. Team with white skinnies for the full on “look”.
- Cream woven cami. Next £12. sizes 6-18. Bigger sizes sold out on line. A variety of comments on this being see through or static, but I thought it looked quite good for £12. Maybe it is just ok for under jackets. Suits anyone really-unless you have problem with your bra straps showing – lots of larger busted ladies wear co-ordinating coloured bras under strappy tops, or ones with see through straps.
- Ivory high neck top. J by Jasper Conran at Debenhams. £32. Sizes 8-20. Features a zip fastening at the back. A lovely silky feeling top for not a bad price. Best on boyish figures and pear shapes – depending on what they team it with.
- Linen blend blazer Marks and Spencers.. £75 reduced to £50. sizes 8-22 regular length only. A lovely jacket at an affordable price. Chuck it on instead of a cardi. Suits most body shapes – apart from apple. To rock the “look”- wear with white skinnies, and heels.
- White broderie dress. J by jasper Conran at Debenhams. I was really surprised how nice this was. 100% cotton and machine washable. Has a side zip. This would suit hourglass, boyish and pear shapes. The length appeals to trendy younger ladies or more demure older ladies!! Go 50′s with coloured flat pumps, or rock it up with a black leather jacket.
- Jennifer white lace fit and flare. Reiss. £155. 100% cotton. Dry clean only. sizes 4-16. Would suit pear shapes and boyish, and perfect if you dislike your upper arms, or going to an event that require decorum. Model is 5’11 so will be longer on normal heights.
- Cream silk bomber jacket. Jigsaw. £149. Sizes S – L. A delicate jacket but great quality. Available in black, fuchsia, pale blue , and coral, as well as cream. Dry clean only. Suit most body shapes.
- Emery 54D wedge sandals. Tommy Hillfiger at House of Fraser. £85. Leather and synthetic fabrics. They have run out on line. But available in stores.
If you like what you have seen, please take a look at my website or give me a call or text on 07976 635518
I would love any comments you would like to make - fill in the reply box underneath.
reiss blog: Wearing white SS14 trend
40plus style : the perfect asymmetrical white dress
whowhatwear: 10 stylish ways to wear white
Favulous Fashion Fix : how to wear the white dress this spring……..see – they do wear black opaque tights with white dresses!!